This ANSI Standard is a Modified version of the IEC 60335-2-76 (2018) for security applications only.
There are non-technical changes for use in USA such as
- to add Imperial units (soft).
- to use American English such as “Utility powered” rather than “mains”.
- to use American English spelling.
- to reformat for clarity.
There are some technical changes based upon updated knowledge to:
- updated to use charge for short pulses instead of RMS current.
- remove obsoleted designs.remove references to animals
This standard incorporates the known bioelectrical science on the effects of pulse durations and charge for nerve and cardiac stimulation. This is then incorporated with the pulse rate to set upper and lower limits for aggregate currents among other critical factors.
- Brim D, Upia A, Muffoletto D, Burke K, Zirnheld J High power ceramic resistors square wave pulse and impulse testing. In: 2013 19th IEEE Pulsed Power Conference (PPC), 2013. IEEE, pp 1-4
- Burke M, Odell M, Bouwer H, Murdoch A (2017) Electric fences and accidental death. Forensic Sci MedPathol 13 (2):196-208. doi:10.1007/s12024-017-9851-z
- Dalziel CF (1950) Electric fences-their hazards, types, regulations, and safe application. Transactions of the American Institute of Electrical Engineers 69 (1):8-15
- IEC 60335-2-86, Household and similar electrical appliances – Safety – Part 2-86: Particular requirements for electric fishing machines
- IEC 60335-2-87, Household and similar electrical appliances – Safety – Part 2-87: Particular requirements for electric animal stunning equipment
- International Electrotechnical , Commission (2016) Effects of Current on Human Beings and Livestock,CEI/IEC 60479-1: General Aspects, 5th Edition., 5th edn. IEC, Geneva, Switzerland, Geneva
- International Electrotechnical Commission (2017) Effects of Current on Human Beings and Livestock, CEI/IEC 60479-2: Special Aspects, 4th Edition., 3rd edn. IEC, Geneva, Switzerland,
- Kroll MW, Perkins PE, Panescu D (2015) Electric fence standards comport with human data and AClimits. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc 2015:1343-1348. doi:10.1109/EMBC.2015.7318617
- Kroll MW, Panescu D, Hirtler R, Koch M, Andrews CJ (2019) Dosimetry for Ventricular Fibrillation Riskwith Short Electrical Pulses: History and Future. . Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc 41:1788-1794
- Kroll M, Perkins P, Pratt H, Stuart E, Bury J, Panescu D (2020) Safety of a High-Efficiency Electrical Fence Energizer. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc 41:under review
- McCutchan J, Hamilton G A Comparative Test of Electric Fence Energisers. In: Conference on Engineering in Agriculture, 1992: Quality Soils, Quality Food, Quality Environment; Preprints of Papers, 1992. Institution of Engineers, Australia, p 374
- Nimunkar AJ, Webster JG (2009) Safety of pulsed electric devices. Physiol Meas 30 (1):101-114
- Underwriters_Laboratories (2003) UL 69: Electric fence controllers.
- Walcott GP, Kroll MW, Ideker RE (2011) Ventricular fibrillation threshold of rapid short pulses. Conf ProcIEEE EMBC 33:255-258. doi:10.1109/IEMBS.2011.6090049
- Whittaker (1939) Electric shock as it pertains to the electric fence. Underwriter’s Laboratories Bulletin of Research 14:1-56